To wipe at least from an eye was the intention which prompted a group of like-minded citizens of Thrissur to joins hands to start a Charitable Trust.
Sai Niketan, Thrissur, came into existence, inaugurated by (Late) Smt. T.C Kochukutty Amma (wife of (Late) Kurur Nilakandan Namboodiripad and a veteran freedom fighter) in the month of November, 1998.
With the blessings and advise of Sri Sathya Sai Baba, and the valuable suggestions of (Late) Retd.Justice Chandra Sekara Menon,Sai Niketan, Thrissur, Began with (Late) Dr. T.I.Radhakrishnan as President, C.Vijayan as secretary and K.K. Menon as Treasurer. K.S. Nair was the vice President and Sreedharan Therambil joined as Asst.Secretary.Retd.Dy Collector O.P Balan Menon joined to take up the Administrative Affairs. (Late) Dr.Kanchana Balaram,Dr.Nalini Radhakrishnan and Dr.Lakshmi K Menon,promised free and prompt medical service to the inmates.
Through its early years were marked by economic hardship, the goodwill and patronage of many generous people(from India and Abroad) have enabled the trust to grow and provide service to many since its inception in 1998.
In the beginning, Sai Niketan operated from a rented building. But owing to the kind and generous patronage of Mr.K.K. Menon (Former President, Parmekavu Devaswam), Dr. Manikarnika lagu, and the wife and children of (late) Shri B.M. Parakkot, the Trust now has its own establishment at Mulagunnathukavu, Thrissur.
The Trust does not actively seek donations, but is willing to accept them from generous patrons and well-wishers.
Also in the anvil are many more service oriented projects:
• A School exclusively for the poor students of rural areas with modern amenities providing free education.
• An Orphanage for mentally challenged and physically handicapped children.
• An Old Age Home exclusively for Men in the style of Sai Niketan , Elavally.
• A Chikitsalayam , (Hospital of Modern methods of Medicine and treatment) to provide free medical care to the poor.
• Handicraft center for widows and homeless women to attain self reliance.