Who all can adopt?
Any person regardless of marital status, married couples with/without children
can be adopt children.
How to adopt?
• Indian residents, who are ready to adopt can register application for adoption
through online in the website: www.cara.nic.in .
• Applicant should keep the application acknowledgement slip.
• Within 30days of registration the following proofs should be uploded to the
• After that the applicant should contact directly to an authorised adoption center
with the aknowledgement slip.
• Preparation of the ‘Home study Report’ about the Applicants will be done by a
social worker from the adoption center or from district child care unit and the
report will be uploaded to the website.
• On the basis of seniority, the prospective adoptive parents shall be referred
online profile of three children which will include the photographs, Child Study
Report and Medical Examination Report.
• After viewing the profile of the child or children, the prospective adoptive
parents may reserve one child within a period of forty-eight hours for possible
adoption and the rest of the children would be released by Child Adoption
Resource Information and Guidance System for other prospective adoptive
parents in the waiting list.
• The Specialised Adoption Agency shall get the details of the prospective adoptive
parents through the Child Adoption Resource Information and Guidance System
for fixing an appointment with the prospective adoptive parents for matching, to
assess the suitability of the prospective adoptive parents by an Adoption
Committee and the Adoption Committee shall prepare the minutes of the
• While accepting the child, the prospective adoptive parents shall sign the Child
Study Report and Medical Examination Report.
Pre Adoption Foster Care
• The child shall be taken in pre-adoption foster care by the prospective adoptive parents within ten days from
the date of matching, after signing the pre-adoption foster care undertaking.
• If the applicant is satisfied with the child they should file a case in court within 7 days from that day.Every legal
procedures should be completed within 2 months.
Post Adoption Follow up
• The Specialised Adoption Agency which has prepared the Home Study Report, shall prepare the post-adoption
follow-up report on six monthly basis for two years from the date of pre-adoption foster placement with the
prospective adoptive parents.